Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Race Report on White Peak Marathon and Half

Race Report on White Peak Marathon and Half 3 months 4 weeks ago #2752

• Jan Forrester
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Report by Andy Lessiter, Race Director -
White Peak Marathon and Swift Half Marathon Report 2017

For provisional results please see results section on MAC website www.matlockac.org.uk Confirmed results will be published in a few days time.

The weather for the start of this year’s White Peak Marathon and Swift Half couldn’t have been better. But the predicted rain arrived ‘on-time’ at midday and continued on and off throughout the rest of the afternoon. However, this didn’t dampen the spirits of the competitors who rose to the challenge of competing in what has been described as one the most beautiful courses and best value running events in the country.

A couple of post event comments include:

• It was so well organised and your Club are extremely helpful, friendly and generous.
• Thanks, everyone in my club, Kimberworth, said you put on a good event and a nice goody bag at finish, good HQ plenty of parking and toilets.
• Thank you for organising such a great race yesterday and many thanks to all the amazing marshals who all smiled through hours of standing in the rain!
• Thank you and all helpers for a lovely marathon yesterday. It was a great route and really good Marshalls at all the water stations so thank you to them.

So, on to the results. The 2017 Half Marathon winner, Patrick Brown running for East London Runners, crossed the finish line in 1:13:41, 2 minutes and 52 seconds clear of MACs own Mike Blair who came in 2nd place at 1:16:33. In 3rd place, in at 01:21:17 was another MAC, Ricky Wood. First Lady (in 10th place overall) was Leonie Shipley of Derby AC in 1:25:28, 3 minutes and 27 seconds ahead of Sarah Burrell of Porter Valley Plodders who finished in 2nd place in 1:28:55 and 2 minutes 37 seconds ahead of 3rd place Lady, Joanne Bolton of Kimberworth Striders in 25th place at 1:31:32.

Also, representing Matlock Athletic Club in this year’s White Peak Half Marathon were:

First name Surname Age Cat. Time
John Thorpe Open 01:25:53
Simon Flitter Open 01:30:58
Antony Lester Open 01:31:02
Ozzy Unsworth V40 01:33:39
Jason Turner V40 01:35:41
Jon Burch V40 01:45:42
Abi Waterfall Open 01:46:41

…..and Matlock Athletic Club were the Half Marathon Team Winners. There were 306 competitors in the 2017 WPM Swift Half Marathon.

For the Marathon, some more impressive times were achieved.

The winner was James Scott-Buccleuch, of Stockport Harriers AC, in 2:43:33. In 2nd place was James Thompson of Kingstone Runners Barnsley in 2:48:32 with 3rd place going to Martyn James of Porter Valley Plodders in 2:50:40.

First lady was Rachael Lawrance from Macclesfield Harriers in 19th position in 3:21:43. 2nd Lady was Lucy Taylor of Ripley RC in 20th position in 3:22:02 and 3rd Lady was Helen Morley of Belper Harriers in 29th position in 3:31:50

And representing MAC in the Full Marathon were:

First name Surname Age Cat. Time
Chris Hallas V50 03:22:59
Charlie Whittaker Open 03:27:39
Christine Howard 1st LV40 03:38:27
Andy Mellor V40 03:41:03
Kathryn Berrisford V40 03:45:27

Again, Matlock Athletic Club were the Marathon Team winners and there were 162 finishers in the Marathon.

Matlock Athletic Club would like to thank the Following for their help and support without which the White Peak Events could not take place.
Peak District National Park, Derbyshire County Council (Economy, Transport and Environment), “The Friends of Cromford Canal”, Keys Estates and Land Agents representative Gary Kirk BSc (Hons) MRICS FAAV, Slacks Coaches, Jayne and her fantastic Ambulance Team of Peakmedicare, Land Tenant Robert Marshall, and support from Water Bailiff John Pass. Car Parking Management (Total Parking Solutions), Mark Packard for use of the Rugby Club House and facilities, Karen Morley and Team for Catering, Dave Newton for providing the Goody Bags,

All the Volunteers of MAC and Friends of MAC who Marshaled the Water Stations, Car Park and Event Logistics as well as the Course Set up team and last but not least All the Runners who made the events such a success.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Race Report on White Peak Marathon and Half 3 months 4 weeks ago #2757

• brian
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I enjoyed my job as turn marshal as usual, not least the cheerfulness of runners. I don't wish to be critical, as I did not attend any meetings, but I do think 2 things need a look at before next year.
I/ In 40 years we have never managed to exclude a few runners who should not have been allowed to enter. The rule to pull runners out at 10 miles if they are outside 2 hours needs to be implemented rigidly. The last runner, an elderly gentleman, went through Parsley Hay (11 miles plus) in 2 and a half hours, just when the torrential rain started. The marshals did not know about the 2 hour rule and had to let him go, even though it looked as if he might be finishing in the dark. This is not an easy road marathon and we need special rules to avoid potential safety issues.
2/ I did not envy the job of Harry Gould who has been sweeper for 20 years. Besides having to ride at 15 minute mile pace for 11 miles carrying mile markers on his handlebars because nobody was around to return them to the finish, he still faced another 15 to go! It was still a great race but we could make it even better
Brian

Race Report on White Peak Marathon and Half 3 months 4 weeks ago #2760

• ianmilne
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Brian's comment is a perennial one. In all the years I have organised it, the marshals have been required to remove runners who break the time barrier. But apart from one event, they did not.

There are several reasons for the time barrier.

1 It is unfair on other runners who may need attention further up the field, when the sweeper has to keep back with those unwilling to drop out.
2 It means that marshals have to stay behind well beyond any reasonable time. The last ones can be out for over 4 or 5 hours, in inclement weather.
3 It is important that everyone agrees to abide by this time barrier, so that we know what is going on.
4 Marshals at the finish have to stay out from 12, till the last one comes in.
5 Kit has to be retrieved.
6 The car park shuts at 5.00. We had one a few years ago who could not get his car, and we had to get the gamekeeper to come back for him.
7 If you can't run a marathon in 5 hours it's not running

A few years ago, we had one who ran the first half in 1.30, well up in the field. He then started to collapse, but kept going. He actually finished in a time of 4.30 or so. But we had no way of knowing what was happening to him. He ended up in hospital. That's why all this is important.

We also had one guy who refused to come out when asked to. He simply took off his number. That's meant that we still had responsibility for him though and he came in after 5 pm !!!

My view is that everyone who enters should have a tick box that states that they will agree to that rule, come what may.

Ian
Time to create page: 1.274 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top