× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Me!Me!Me! Footprint of a Runner-Kathryn Berrisford

3 years 1 month ago #2927 by Jan Forrester
Kathryn Berrisford age 45 married to Joss, mother to Mae 12 and Luke 11, who are both MAC members. Works as an Embryologist at CARE Private IVF Clinic, Nottingham

What got you interested in running in the first place? When Mae and Luke were young, we were renovating our house and life was quite chaotic, so I started running for some head space. I live in Whatstandwell and can just run out the front door onto the Canal and peace!

How long have you been a member of Matlock AC? About 2 years. I would take the kids to Monday night training and go for a run on my own but then Nicky ‘caught’ me and next thing I knew I was running with the Monday Night Ladies.

What is your favourite meal? Blue steak and blue cheese

Stiff drink or herbal tea? Got to be red wine

Some stats – 10K 49 mins 25, Half 1 hour 43 mins 23, Full 3 hours 45 mins 27

You seem to prefer longer races, why? I don’t really like the pressure of feeling you have to run fast. I find it difficult to pace myself and dislike running in a ‘pack’. I seem to be physically and mentally better suited to longer races. No matter the length of a race, I have virtually the same minute miles.

How do you juggle family life and training? It is much easier now the kids are older. I do not work Monday and Friday so run when the kids are at school. I have a very ‘relaxed’ training plan that revolves around these days.

If you could magically get one thing back what would it be? Apart from wanting to go back in time to when Mae and Luke were toddlers, because they are growing up way too fast, I wish I had tried harder at cross country at school. I should have embraced running, because I did enjoy it, but it seemed more fun at the time to hide from the teachers and cheat!!

Other interests? I love eating out and recently went to Jade Stone’s restaurant, Stones in Matlock, which was amazing. The Matlock Balti is a regular haunt, we have been going for over 15 years. I enjoy long dog walks with the family in the Peak District. My parents live in Australia (my mum is Australian) and have been there many times, including camper vanning round the coasts for a year and also enjoying visiting stop over countries on the way, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Parties or peace and quiet? Since our midlife crisis began I would say I prefer noise. Considering Whatstandwell is such a small village, we have a lot of like-minded friends locally and have a pretty hectic social life; this time of year BBQs and the pub garden!

What has been your most rewarding running challenge? My first White Peak Marathon in 2011 (I have done it 4 times). I wanted to do a marathon before I was 40 and completed with 5 months to go. I did not wear a watch and just went out to enjoy it. I did 1 minute under good for age for London, so had to enter. I got my London place in 2012 but had to defer for a year, because in February I fell off my bike and broke my femur! I had a metal plate in it for 9 months, so when I finally did the marathon in April 2013, I was under-prepared and got a terrible shin splint that stopped me running at 23 miles and I hobbled over the finish line. So that was unfinished business! I did the Robin Hood Marathon later the same year to get a good for age again and then did London again in 2014 in 3.53.

If you had a Tardis to where would you travel in time? I would travel to Henry VIII’s era. I was christened in the chapel within the Tower of London, where Anne Boleyn is buried; that history is mind-blowing!

Who has been your biggest sporting influence/inspiration? Zola Budd, middle and long distance runner, who competed in 1984 Olympic games for Gt Britain and 1992 Games for S. Africa. I remember watching her running on the TV when I was growing up and she seemed so young and the fact that she ran barefoot fascinated me.

The hardest thing I have ever done …… I climbed the Gloucester tree in Western Australia in the 90’s. It is a giant Karri tree, 53 metres high. I am scared of heights and you climb up it on pegs, only enclosed in chicken wire. My dad (who was a fireman) talked me up and down the tree, otherwise I would never have been able to do it.

Latest music download? We went to the Y Not Festival so downloaded the playlist. I particularly looked forward to the Happy Mondays this year.

Favourite film? I love films with a twist at the end, like Sixth Sense, The Outsiders and Shutter Island.
TV? It’s got to be Emmerdale, I’m afraid.

Favourite book? I read Joe Simpson’s ‘Touching the Void’ and became slightly obsessed with reading about mountaineering (obviously not actually doing it because of my fear of heights!) and loved reading ‘The White Spider’ by Heinrich Harrer about the Eiger Nordwand in the Swiss Alps.

What would you never leave home without? It’s got to be my mobile. It’s got my whole life on it, the family calendar, all my photos and numerous Whats App and messenger groups.

Do you have any ideas which Matlock AC could incorporate to improve the club? Just keep up the variety. I enjoyed the session with Steve Green about technique and think it is great that there are 2 track sessions booked.
I think the junior coaches are doing an amazing job. My kids are so lucky to have the enjoyment of the club and what can I say about the luuverly ladies………..just fantastic.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top