× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Thanks to all those who helped with Ricky's Race

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #2934 by AndyMellor
A big than kyou to all marshals, time-keepers and other volunteers who helped the race to go without a hitch (well, maybe just the one).

I really thought we had everything planned and all eventualities covered, but unfortunately if there is a small-minded individual determined to sabotage an event by maliciously changing the course, then many people will have their enjoyment affected as a result.

There are always lessons to be learned after every race and we will think what we can tweak to avoid recurrent next year.

Colin has already suggested a radical idea of running the race without any taping, so runners need to navigate without relying on tape.
My radical idea was to team up with the Derwent Bowmen, inviting them to patrol the course and shoot on sight anyone tampering with the tape. Not sure if I’d get that past the committee though.

In practice, I suspect one additional marshal at the offending junction is probably all that is needed – it is the only place where a decision is needed by runners, not already covered by a marshal. We had put numerous tapes to the left to make it clear, and put arrows on the floor pointing to the left, but these were all altered.

Despite everything, the weather was lovely so things could have been worse, and we got everyone back despite the detours – a minor miracle.

To echo the thanks from Craig, a big thankyou from me to everyone that helped to make the 20th anniversary race truly memorable. Next year will be perfect!

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago #2935 by brian
A few helpful ( I hope)comments. When there was a gap of about 10 minutes after the first 30 odd runners had gone through, some thing had obviously gone wrong. The problem is that this race is not really a fell race with an up and down route that is easy to get back on if you get lost. It is more a hilly cross country on a complicated course that is difficult to mark if you have got saboteurs in action. You could send a runner round 30 minutes before the start to check that all is in place. Obviously more bodies marshalling the course would help.
I suggest something that has worked in the past in club races : don't use tapes but mark the crucial intersections with splashes of flour! These don't have to be collected afterwards. They are very visible under the trees and effective at road crossings where they are soon eliminated by traffic after the race. The flour in the woods is bio-degradable and is a nice supper for the mice!
If I had paid £5 to enter I think I should be rather annoyed if a race turned into a training run!
Keep on organising races!
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top