× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Me!Me!Me! Footprint of a Runner-Ricky Wood age 35

3 years 1 week ago #2973 by Jan Forrester
Father to Saffron 10, Reuben 4 and Ronnie 2. Works as Owner of Peak Playgrounds, which makes and supplies playground equipment

What is your favourite place and why? Has to be Stanton Moor, I used to play there with my friends as a kid and now love walking up there with my family. Always feels so relaxed and tranquil.

What is your favourite meal? I’m into Mexican food at the moment, particularly burritos

What is your favourite drink? I Don’t drink alcohol. a bit boring I know but Yorkshire tea is my favourite – Must be strong! like David Dickinson’s face in colour

I really do not like…… Milky tea

What got you interested in running in the first place? Ran XC at school and enjoyed Athletics. I was in the Derbyshire Team for XC and 1,500m (4 mins +). I was 5th in the English Fell Running Champs U16.

How long have you been a member of Matlock AC? I ran for Matlock as a junior in the late 90s. I only joined again this year. I often bumped into Karl Webster and Simon Flitter, always asking if they still ran on a Thursday night always saying I might pop down. It’s taken me this long to show my face! This is due to Mike Blair telling me he had joined Matlock and on the spur of the moment I went along and I now have the bug.
Some stats – PBs 1 Mile - 5.06 5K - 17.39 10K - 37.25 Half Marathon - 1hr 21mins

If you could be any action hero, who would it be and why? Maybe Captain America, because he is my son’s favourite.

You are credited with coming up with Ricky’s Race in 1997, what else are you known for? Soon after founding Ricky’s Race I got into kickboxing (and women) so my running took a backseat. I was the English Full Contact Kickboxing Champion in 2004. My brother, Dale, is a former World Kickboxing Champion. We were both into Athletics at school and Dale got into kickboxing to help him with his flexibility, so I had a go too.

Other interests? I don’t have time for kickboxing anymore due to running my own business and having a young family. I got into running again purely to get fitter. I set myself three goals this year –
1. To achieve sub 40 mins in a 10k. Have achieved 37.25 in training and did 38.00 at Hardwick 10k. 2) To compete in a half marathon. Ran White Peak Swift Half and finished 3rd in 1.21.17. 3) To run 10 miles every week. Already up to 600 miles so going well. I blame Strava!!

If you could be someone else for a day who would it be and why? Mohammed Ali. Always admired his boxing ability and personality.

What has been your most rewarding running challenge? Finishing 5th in the English Fell Running Champs when I was 16. My next challenge is to run a sub 3 hour marathon. So I am going to ‘up’ the training, mileage and get some coaching at the Club and go for this next year. Just got to choose the one to do and hope I don’t keep picking up injuries, although Kelly Lynn is very good at mending them!!

Funniest/scariest running moment? I competed as a junior in the Latrigg Fell Race (3 miles with 950 ft of climb) which starts at Fitz Park, Keswick and the route climbs for approximately 800m before turning onto the ‘direct route’. This is where the race really starts with a brutally steep climb to the summit. Once round the summit, the descent is via a different, but equally steep, path which tests even the very best descenders. I fell near the top of the descent and practically bounced all the way down. I was pretty bruised and battered.

If you could ban anything in the World what would it be? Pretentious people

What is your guilty pleasure? Deal or no Deal

Music? Rod Stewart, The Jam, Oasis and Coldplay

Favourite film? The Shawshank Redemption, adapted from the Stephen King book, tells the story of the prison life of a banker who is sentenced to life for the murder of his wife and her lover. The Green Mile, an American fantasy crime drama, adapted from another Stephen King book and tells the story of a death row correction’s officer during the US Great Depression and the events he witnessed.

TV? At the moment it’s Naked Attraction on Channel 4. A British dating game show in which a clothed person selects 2 contestants from 6 naked people whose bodies and then faces are revealed in stages from the feet up

What is top of your bucket list? To travel to Africa to see the wildlife. Also to see a red squirrel. Have stayed in the Lakes on many occasions and once whilst staying in a yurt, I saw a sign stating ‘Red Squirrels’, went off in search, but still haven’t seen one.

Do you have any ideas which Matlock AC could incorporate to improve the club? I think it’s already doing great, when I ran as a junior, running was seen as ‘geeky’, so it was a real shock when I joined the Club and saw how many people are now members and how much the Club has grown. I find everyone really encouraging with a fantastic team spirit. I think a regular track session would be a good idea.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top