× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New "Safety when running" section on MAC website.

6 years 8 months ago #502 by Andy Lessiter
There is a new "Safety when running" section on the Matlock AC website via the Homepage.

Most of it is common sense but hope you find it useful.

If you have any improvements or additional advice then let me know and I will get it added.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #503 by Colin D
The link isn't working at the moment....

6 years 8 months ago #504 by Andy Lessiter
Should be working now.

6 years 8 months ago #505 by russell
As stated, much of the tendered advice is common sense but I would like to add a little. Those who have been on my runs will know that telephone boxes and mobile signals are a myth in the white Peak, starting at 700ft. above sea level. For communication in emergency I recommend a whistle, this is a much more reliable low tech device which will probably carry 400 meters . I have been teased in the past for being over dressed for winter training starting at the Arc, but this partly arises because I experience the lower temperatures and higher winds at moderate altitude before stetting off for Matlock, there is surely a lesson here. Running in company is not always an option but the risks of running alone can be moderated, as stated, by leaving a written record of route and time schedule, taking especial care to avoid imobilising injury (ankle and the like) and having the whistle and a clothing regime which will provide some warmth if one is compelled to walk or limp home or to remain stationary and wait for help. Let your partner know that the emergency call will be the whistle, and nominate a map reader or person with local knowledge for advice if one is overdue. With my unsavory dress habit and odour, and lack of ability to keep up with proper runners, being alone is often the only option, and these simple precautions have kept me unscathed since my first run in 1953

6 years 8 months ago #506 by Andy Lessiter
Wise advice, thanks Clive.

I have made amendments to the Safety section as a result.

Andy

6 years 8 months ago #507 by Alan
Well done Andy for flagging this important information up. Far too often the Common sense approach is so easily overlooked, and unfortunately can sometimes only be viewed in hindsight. We all tend to think of ourselves as indestructible and have a blinkered view that it could never happen to us!!

Thanks again for putting together a well presented Safety Code of Practice.

Regards
Alan

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top