× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Changes in the Pipeline - Warning.. a lot to read!

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #519 by Alan
To All Matlock Athletic Club Membership...........

Just to bring you all up to speed with some changes which are going to be taking place within the Club very soon and which you are all invited to be a part of and will be encouraged to develop should you wish. :woohoo:

A New, All Inclusive GRAND PRIX which is open to ALL MEMBERS INCLUDING our JUNIOR MEMBERS :ohmy:

The Grand Prix has been going for some time and has been a Competitive Club Event which at the Grand Prix Year End in February, usually after the Club Cross Country Event, results in Members who have taken place in selected Races during the year, having their best TEN races calculated by our very own Super Mathematician (Steve Mead),(who uses a specific Formulae which makes Einstein's theory of relativity look like child's play), to produce an overall winner who is Presented a Trophy at the Club Dinner. (which by the way is coming up again very soon and is open to ALL Members - look out for details in emails soon).

The Principle of the Grand Prix is quite simple.... :dry: a selection of Races are chosen at the beginning of the Year (now by our Club Captains) and put into a spread sheet. The First Matlock Runner back gains 20 points , the second 19 points, the third 18 points and so on. Usually anyone who attends the races, makes a note of all the MAC runners and their finishing positions and emails these results to Steve. Steve then inputs them into the spreadsheet and in turn this is added to the website and updated following each event.

The Races have traditionally been a mixture of Road, Fell, and Trail. This Criteria is still pretty much going to be retained but with the inclusion of County Cross Country, and a few more Team Events. This gives a broader spectrum to allow for our under represented Club Members, ie, the Ladies and the Juniors a chance to be included in Club Activities.

I can hear some of you saying, well surely the Elite side of the Club will always get the best results........This is going to be addressed by Steve's Magic Formulae called the HANDICAP RULE... basically for the understanding of mere mortals like you and me, this means that a complex formulae will be added to the final results giving a more level playing field meaning a handicap will be given to the faster runners giving the less speedy runners the chance to win on handicap, in turn hopefully creating a more inclusive, competitive Club competition. :)

With the same principle being applied to a New Junior Grand Prix with their own races.

Hopefully this will give our Junior Side of MAC a Target to put to use some of the great training that they put in to their running, as well as create a friendly competitive side amongst themselves.

Please watch this space for further details of when this becomes live.

Other News

The Website is soon going to have a bit of an overhaul. this will make it more user friendly and will take into account the use of Media Devices which access it, ie Tablets , Mobile Phones and Pads, making it easier to read and find information.

The Home Page will retain many of its great features but will also be a one stop place for instant access to Races and Events which will be coming up giving an idea of which Events would be likely to require Team Participation including Traditionally MAC attended Team Events. I know that I keep using the word Team well that's going to be a bit of a focus now as I don't know about you, but I get a real kick out of going to events where I know some of the runners, even better when their my Club Mates, I don't feel quite so alone when there are other MAC members about. That's not to detract from members wanting to go to Events individually and of course you are all free to enter any events you wish, but I feel that as a Club, it would be nice to have more of a Team participation going on. (what do you think)?

There will also be a section on the Website which introduces the Committee to you along with the option of being able to communicate directly with any of them should you wish.

There will also be a section which will outline the Policies necessary to protect its Membership, focusing on Dignity and Respect for all.

Monday Night Training - Coaches and Helpers

Following a Committee Meeting last night (Mon 20th Jan) I have handed to Randell and Karl the list of Volunteers for the Coaching and Helping positions.... You will be contacted shortly with news of what will happen next.... Thank you to all who offered to give their time and energy to help ease the strain on this expanding area of the Club... Meanwhile if any further Members want to be considered at a later date, then don't hesitate to drop me a line as this is going to be a long term issue rather than a quick fix.

Club Affiliation

I am pleased to be able to announce that we have now become Affiliated to ARC (the Association of Running Clubs) more details about this will be publicised soon but it now allows our Club to put in place certain policies which bring us in line with current legislation and Member and Club Protection. Not only that, but it makes the Management of the Club and its Events a little less complex whilst still retaining its High Standards. My Thanks to the Committee Members who have worked hard to make this happen. If you wish to find out about ARC then have a look at their website at www.runningclubs.org.uk/

Thursday Night Training Night Runs

The Thursday night training runs will soon take on a slight change, there will be a focus on a more inclusive Social evening which will hopefully accommodate runners from all abilities. Volunteers for Ability Group Leaders will need to be established informally on the night to take into account the whole groups ability. Hopefully a three tier approach could be driven and should any member or guest feel like they could run in a faster group, then they could pace up to the next group and likewise, should any member feel as though they need to drop back a bit then they could drop back to an approaching group. Whilst still retaining the purpose of the evening which is to have a good Tempo Run in a Social environment. Hopefully it should work so please bear with us whilst we try various approaches till we get it right.

NEW CLUB KIT

Matlock Athletic Club will soon have its very own Club Kit Web Page where new items of Kit can be ordered along with additional items of quite attractive Club Leisure Wear for a very reasonable Cost Price. It is important to mention at this point that Matlock Athletic Club is a Non Profit Making Organisation so items will be available at cost price from our New Local Supplier Quiller. Our very own Don Needham is the New Kit Supply chap and will be the one who will be responsible for taking the orders and supplying the goods. Again, keep a look out on the website for this development.

That's about it for the time being, so thanks for taking the time to read all this and thanks too for your continuous enthusiasm in taking the Club Forward.

Kindest Regards

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top