× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

Possible Carsington Headtorch race

2 years 3 months ago #2806 by simonbrister
I am trying to gauge what support there would be for a midweek head torch race at Carsington Water.
I have been discussing this with Matlock Rotary and had a meeting with Dave Drury - the Ranger there and both are quite up for it. My thoughts were a midweek race at a time of year when it is dark in the evenings (of course) and when there are few midweek evening races for obvious reasons. I thought perhaps in February or March before the clocks change. One obvious problem would be that it might need to be the whole way round the 12km as an out and back would mean running towards oncoming head torches.
Dave says that he thinks the downstairs café at the visitor centre may be prepared to open and of course there are toilet facilities on site. Matlock Rotary would be prepared to get out to do the marshalling etc., as required. They are pretty well versed as they run the Dovedale Dipper.
Maybe the first year just for a few local clubs to try before rolling out to more clubs the following year.
Is there an appetite for this? Feedback on the forum would be great - or to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #2808 by karlwebster
Sounds a nice idea. I think something like that could become very popular.

2 years 2 months ago #2822 by JamesT
Hi Simon, sounds good. We've had a Carsington headtorch Thursday evening training run in October that's been well attended for the last couple of years, so a headtorch race is a good extension to this. You may need to look at the date of next year's Carsington half marathon & 10k to avoid 2 events being scheduled at similar times, this year it was staged in late February. Good luck with it

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top