Autumn/Winter Thursday Schedule

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1590 by JamesT
Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed the new Autumn/Winter schedule on this website, if not here's the link:

www.matlockac.org.uk/10-training-schedul...ay-training-sessions

Apologies that I can't get it to open on its own page, feel free to fix it if you've got admin' rights.

I have listened to comments and suggestions about what to include in it to get us through the dark evenings, and it's even trickier now we have Andy's excellent regular speedwork sessions too. So to avoid months of running up and down the A6 every week, and to save me going crazy trying to find a succession of different routes, I am proposing we hold a monthly off-road away headtorch run and reintroduce the monthly 10k handicap - but with a difference.

The headtorch run will be of a distance of approx' 8 miles, and to get us up and running I suggest a headtorch run around Carsington. We can always up the adventure level as we progress through the months. This will run occur on the 2nd Thursday in the month and be sandwiched between normal winter road runs.

The 10k will be held on the last Thursday of the month so as not to conflict with the Thread or other local 5k races. It will be run over a different course every month and the difficulty level will vary from flattish to very hilly. The big change will be in the handicap system, I'm proposing using the WAVA/WMA system and awarding points on an age %performance basis. That means as well as racing your club mates you are also racing against your own age performance indicators, meaning the winners will not necessarily be the fastest on the night but instead a performance that is best for age. It also means we don't have to differentiate between men's and ladies times as these are already calculated into the formula. We can have have prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd over a 6 race series, and this way it's open to anyone to win. It also compensates for not having a handicap prize in the current GP.

Here's how it works:

www.runningforfitness.org/faq/agegrading

The first handicap will be from the ARC on a course out through Matlock Bath and back.

Let me know your thoughts please, I will populate the schedule with maps next week if there's no huge outcry of disapproval

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #1591 by dennisbelbin
Cracking Ideas Jim,

Looking forward to having a chance against those 'young-uns' - actually it won't be a very big chance! :cheer:

5 years 3 months ago #1594 by Andy Neath
Jim
Looks a great way to keep the interest up over the darker months.
Just a point (and not wanting to seem pedantic) but you've said that the away headtorch run will be the 2nd Thursday of the month, but on the schedule it's on the 3rd Thursday in October. Just trying to avoid confusion!
Andy

5 years 3 months ago #1595 by JamesT
Thanks for the positive feedback Andy, and yes you've spotted the flaw in the plan when there are 5 Thursdays in a calendar month. This will only be slightly problematic for October, as although December is a 5 Thursday month we will probaly only get to run 3 of them from ARC due to their Xmas timetable. I've got a number of possible solutions to holding the handicap race that month which we can agree on nearer the time And the 5th Thursday in March will be the opening away of the 2016 sprimg/summer schedule around Chatsworth.

Hope this explains everything

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top